VEGAN VOL AU VENT
- 100 g soy chunks
- 1/2 l vegetable stock
- 2 tsp soy butter
- 250 g mushrooms (sliced)
- 300 g vegetarian chunks of chicken (Greenway or Vegetarische Slager)
- 50 g soy butter
- 50 g wheat flour
- 1/2 l unsweetened soy milk
- A bit of madeira wine
- Quite a bit of lemon juice
- pepper and salt
- Fresh parsley (chopped)
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
Boil the soy chunks for 5 min in half a liter of vegetable stock, turn off the fire and leave them to soak.
- In the meantime, heat 1 tablespoon of soy butter in a skillet and fry the sliced mushrooms until browned. Remove them from the skillet and fry the vegetarian chicken chunks in 1 Tsp of soy butter.
- Put the pastry shells in the oven.
- Make a bechamel sauce with the remaining soy butter, flour and soy milk. Add a bit of the vegetable stock (remaining from boiling the soy chunks), some madeira wine, a good dash of lemon juice, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Drain the soy chunks well and mix them into the sauce, together with the vegetarian chicken chunks, mushrooms and freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve the vol au vent in the pastry shells.
- Making pastry shells yourself ?Take two large sheets of puff pastry and use a glass or cup to cut out four round shapes. Cut out an additional 12 rounds, from which you cut out each time a smaller round in the middle, in order to obtain 12 rings. Smear each ring with a bit of melted soy butter (or olive oil) and cover with another ring of pastry. Repeat this several times in order to build the pastry shells. Bake these homemade pastry shells for 20 to 25 minutes in a preheated oven at 180°C